facts_01She’s gone. I better learn how to face it.

We moved my first born into her college room this weekend. I thought it would be a lot worse in a lot of different ways, but to be honest, it wasn’t that bad.

First, I thought there would be gigantic crowds. While the lines were long and the streets hectic, things moved quicker than I would’ve guessed. Move in weekend was a well-oiled machine.

When we pulled up to her 18 story residence hall, which sits smack dab next to another 18 story residence hall, the streets looked like a refugee village. Folks lined the streets sitting beside bundles of belongings. We were lucky and found a spot right in front. After a quick off load (we packed light) we got in line for the elevator. I think it took us about 30 minutes to get on an elevator and up to the 18th floor.

When we found her room I was amazed. While the room is tiny, she has the most wonderful view. Her room is on the front corner of the dorm, and she has sweeping views of Richmond, the park, the campus, and points south and west. I was also amazed at how small it was. Luckily the bed that was left open was, in my opinion, the best in the room.


To the West – our home is an hour that-a-way

After getting her room set up, we decided to do some shopping for last minute items, and get some lunch. A few hours later, with Target bags in hand, we returned to her room after another 20 minute wait to use an elevator only to find one roommate asleep, and the aunt of her other roommate, asleep.

Well this sucks…we were looking forward to unpacking all her new dorm room do-dads and instead had to tip-toe out after a whispered change of game plan. Luckily the park across the street was having a festival of sorts, so we decided to make the best of it. Our kids got to use a rock-climbing wall, ride a Segway, slide down a giant slide and bounce on trampolines.

We also viewed the gym, which was close to a religious experience. The VCU gym has got to be the dopest college fitness facility on the east coast. It’s truly amazing. I made my girl promise she would make good use of it.

Before long, it was time to say good-bye. I wasn’t too bad because I knew I was driving out today to bring her items she forgot…toothbrush, laundry bag, etc. But for hubby it was hard. He felt like he was abandoning his little baby girl in the big, bad city. She was a little scared too; I could tell.

She left us about 10 text messages that night, and I woke up at 2 am and could not get back to sleep wondering if she was okay.

Today I drove out there and spent the whole day with her helping her dot i’s and cross t’s. We mapped out her class schedule, bought her books (cha-fucking-ching) and toured the library. We had a nice lunch, and then shopped for more room decor and snacks.

It made me feel a hell of a lot better getting a closer look at the area, and I think walking around so much help familiarize her with the campus a bit more. The streets were teeming with students, and the general bustle of a college campus was an invigorating way to spend the day. Hell, it was just super nice being with my girl.

Saying goodbye was bittersweet, but I know I only have to wait until Friday to see her again. Then, in just one week she’ll be home for the long Labor Day weekend. I know as the weeks go on, she’ll come home less and less partly because she may want to stay, and partly because we may not want to make the drive.

For now we are separating from each other slowly, like dipping your toe into a really cold pool rather than doing a cannon ball into the deep end. I think that way works best for both of us.

But I miss her. I’m looking forward to Friday.