The last few days were crazy for sure. I was so absorbed in the success of my daughter’s Halloween party that I could not focus on hurricane Sandy at all until Sunday morning. While I was working on some freelance, I had the Weather Channel on, which was, of course, a huge mistake.

After an hour of hearing several meteorologists call Sandy a storm the likes of which had not been seen for a hundred years I began to get scared. I knew that my little area of Virginia was not going to get a direct hit, but I was sure we’d lose power, and I hate losing power.

Sunday morning panic began to creep into my soul, and I felt an absolute compulsion to head to the supermarket and buy canned goods and D batteries. I kept the ice maker churning out cubes to keep our milk and baloney cold in the event of a blackout, and made sure I had candles and lighters handy. DVD player and DS/Gameboys were charging and my phone had all 4 bars.

By that afternoon I was secure in the fact that we were as prepared as we could be – I know I was. I had enough cheap wine to last me through the storm. Now all there was to do was wait.

We got the call that schools were closed by 8 pm Sunday night. I couldn’t take time off from work though. I have a paper deadline to meet each Tuesday come hell or Sandy’s high waters. I contacted our press and we both agreed it would be best to ship the paper off to them by the end of the day Monday. This way the paper was printed if they lost power.

That meant I had to get what I usually do over the course of 3 days in the next 9 hours. Good thing I got to the office at 7 that morning. By 3 pm I had almost all of my stuff done; it wasn’t going to be the prettiest paper I’ve ever done, but it would be on the stands. It was then the boss sauntered over griping that we’d lost a day of potential sales by rushing the paper out of the door.

And here I thought I’d get an “atta girl” for coming up with an emergency plan.

I drove home in blinding rain and breezy conditions – was thrilled when I pulled into my leaf covered driveway and saw that there were lights on in the house. I made a nice dinner, thankful that I had a stove to cook on and a working dishwasher to clean up the dishes.

The whole night I waited for the winds to pick up and the power to go off. Neither happened.

I woke up Tuesday morning to cold, rainy conditions, but barely any wind and power that had not even flickered during the night. I can tell because my microwave clock is always set to 0:00 when we lose power while we sleep.

Of course I tuned into the news and was shocked and saddened at the conditions in the state I still consider home, good old New Jersey. To see what happened to the Jersey Shore alone made me want to cry. Although I spent most of my summer vacations on Martha’s Vineyard, in my 20’s I spent almost every weekend in Seaside Heights or Sandy Hook. It’s staggering to see what the boardwalk at Seaside looks like now.

Towns close to where I grew up are under water. Seeing Manhattan without lights was freaky. There were tons of Facebook posts describing hurricane Sandy experiences – thank goodness for smart phones in a blackout.

I gotta get me one of those.

It was obvious to me that we had dodged a serious bullet. No trees down, no loss of power – that’s a win-win. My oldest asked when the hurricane was coming – on Tuesday morning. That’s how lightly we were hit; she hadn’t even realized it had passed through our area.

I’m also thankful that Halloween in Virginia was not jeopardized. I was worried that if we lost power, trick or treating would go down the toilet. But we have power, and my oldest daughter is getting a ride home from play practice. That means that my youngest and I are free to eat a quick dinner, and head out for a night of ringing doorbells.

Sounds Booootiful.